Public Works

The Public Works Department has the following responsibilities:

  • Maintaining and repairing Town buildings and equipment
  • Landscaping Town property
  • Picking up leaves
  • Picking up limbs
  • Picking up unsightly garbage littered on the back roads
  • Decorating the Town during holiday seasons
  • Fixing pot holes on roads owned by Duncan

The public works department isn’t responsible for trash collection as this service is contracted out to a private company. However Duncan residents should go through Duncan Town Hall to replace a trash container or for any other problems with trash collection as described in the first of the boxed areas that follow. Please scroll down for more information on services provided by the public works department. 


Town of Duncan, Sc - trash

Trash collection and replacing roll out containers

New Duncan residents should contact Duncan Town Hall at (864)-439-2664 if there is not a roll out trash container at your residence. Please ask for the Town Clerk or the Town administrator to request a rollout container.

Residential trash pickup day is every Monday. A problem with companies that use a mechanical arm to pick-up the cans is that the cans occasionally get broken as shown in the picture. If your can gets broken please contact the Town clerk at Town Hall (864-439-2664). The clerk will contact the garbage collection company to have them replace the can.


Town of Duncan, SC trash container

Duncan, SC leaf pick up

 Leaf and yard debris pick up

Town crews will pick yard debris year round per the yard waste policy shown below. They have no set schedule for this. They have to drive most of the streets of Duncan each week so they simply make note of where the debris is and schedule a pick-up. If your yard debris has been out for a long time please call Town Hall and let us know.

Duncan, SC pot hole repair

Street Maintenance

Street maintenance is a major problem for every municipality in South Carolina including the Town of Duncan. Most street signs have a symbol on them that tell you if the State, Spartanburg County or the Town of Duncan should be responsible for that road. These symbols are shown in the picture below. Still to this day there is controversy over who is responsible for which roads so the symbols aren’t always correct.

Unfortunately for Duncan, Lyman, Wellford and Greer the County of Spartanburg got away with forcing these municipalities to take over the county roads within their town limits. This means that street signs with a cardinal on it that are in the town limits of Duncan are now maintained by the Town of Duncan. The State roads inside the limits of these municipalities are still maintained by the State.


If you have a pothole or other street maintenance problem the best approach is to contact our Town Administrator at Town Hall (864-439-2664) to find out who is responsible for the road. The following list of roads are roads that should at least be partially maintained by the State. Please note many of the roads in the following list are maintained by both Duncan and the State. Some are even maintained by Duncan, the County and the State. For instance River Street is a State road from Main Street until just past the church on River Street if you look for it you will see a sign that says “end of State maintenance.” Past that sign the River Street is maintained by the Town of Duncan until it leaves the Duncan Town limits and becomes a Spartanburg County road. Please do not blame anyone in Duncan for this.

Christopher St. (S-42-614)
Danzler Road (S-42-242)
Duncan Reidville Rd (S-42-62)
Finch Rd. (S-42-193)
Gap Creek Rd (S-42-908)
Greer St. (S-42-899)
Howell Rd. (S-42-222)
Hughes St. (S-42-805)
Leonard St. (S-42-852)
McAualay Rd (S-42_63)
N. Moore St (S-42-1126)
S. Moore St
North Ave. (S-42-616)
Oak St. (S-42-507)
Piedmont St. (S-42-728)
Pineridge Rd. (S-42_77)
River St. (S-42_633)
Rodgers Bridge Rd. (S-42-1078)
Rogers Rd. (S-42-935)
School St. (S-42-1127)
Smith St. (S-42-881)
N. Spencer St. (S-42-77)
S. Spencer St. (S-42-62)
Spring St. (S-42-616)
W. Pine St. (S-42-927)
W. Main
Wheeler St. (S-42-509)
Woods Chapel Rd. (S-42-221)
S. Main (S-42-1081)
Finch Rd. (S-42-193)
Robinson Rd. (S-42-644)

The contact information for State and County road maintenance departments follows. Please note the links for State and County road repair request. If you can figure out how to submit a repair request the State is usually quite good at taking care of the request. If you contact the Town of Duncan with a repair request and it turns out to be a State road the Town of Duncan will just call it in to the State.

For State maintained roads please contact:
SC Department of Transportation
SC-DOT road repair link


Note: The contact information for Spartanburg County road maintenance is included as a convenience for those who might want some maintenance done on a county road that is outside the Town limits of Duncan.

For County maintained roads please contact:
Spartanburg County Roads and Bridges Department
9039 Fairforest Rd
2nd Floor
Spartanburg, SC 29301
Phone: 864-595-5320
Fax: 864-595-5364
Spartanburg County Roads Department maintenance request
Spartanburg County Roads and Bridges Department
Spartanburg County Roads and Bridges Frequently asked questions link

street lights

Street Light Repair


Street light repair works much like pothole repair. The best approach is to contact Duncan Town Hall at (864-439-2664).


Duncan Public Works mission

Public Works Mission Statement

Our mission is to provide infrastructure services, environmental services and code enforcement to the Town of Duncan citizens and visitors. The planning, preservation and implementation of Public Works services ensure that customer satisfaction is the foundation for every project. A continuous forward-looking approach drives the common goals of enhancing our community.